Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Family Grape Growers Speak Out on What Family Enterprises Mean to Them: Part One


In a run-up to the important FamilyWinemaker’s tasting this next weekend in San Francisco, we asked El Dorado Wine Grape Growers Association members “What’s a family enterprise mean to you?”.  Some of the key words from the first replies:  family, work ethic, generations, vision, standing together, quality goals.

Here’s one detailed reply from Ann Walker Johnson of Walker Vineyards, which planted grapevines in 1968 on their one-hundred year old family farm situated above the Cosumnes River at 2100’ elevation.  Today they grow Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Barbera, Petite Sirah and Merlot on 21 acres in El Dorado’s Oak Hill Agricultural District.


Old Barn on the Ranch


“A family enterprise means uniting behind a shared vision and goal. Growing up on a ranch that has been in the family for over 100 years, we have a long standing tradition of working the land.



Zinfandel

“I watched my mom and dad begin their vineyard in the early 1970's and as a member of the family I was expected to contribute to the process. (As the youngest of four daughters, that initially meant carrying a water jug until I was old enough to graduate to disbudding vines and helping with portable irrigation pipe.) We all worked together to take care of the vines.
Ann Walker Johnson
at Harvest






"Now, some 40 years later I'm back on the ranch sharing that vision again. Why come back? For me it was an opportunity to really get to know my dad on a different level. I've learned a tremendous amount about viticulture from him ... but I have also shared many moments (sometimes humorous, sometimes not) from repairing the 6" pipeline to learning exactly which fittings you need to lubricate on the mower.




Sorting out grow tubes
“I also have my own family working with me. Is it my 16 year old daughter's first choice to be up at 6:00 AM the one day of week she could actually sleep in since high school is back in session? No! But, she does understand that a family pulls together when work needs to get done and I think imparting a sound work ethic is one of the best things we can do for our kids.


Son Josh and friend
smile after a long day
of planting vines

“So a family enterprise means just that... family. Working together through the good times and the stressful times and standing together behind a goal, which for us is to grow the highest quality wine grapes we can.”


No comments:

Post a Comment